Sunday, December 2, 2012

Box Art: The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)


Box Art: The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)

Sometimes movies aren’t as awesome as the box art and description they present.  Today, I offer The Star Wars Holiday Special.  A Spectacular Trip Into Outer Space!


“While en route to the Wookie home planet of Kashyyyk, the Millenium Falcon is pursued by Imperial Starships as Han Solo and Chawebacca attempt to arrive in time for the Life Day Celebration.  In anticipation, Chewie’s family prepares for this important holiday... until the Empire pays a visit!
The Star Wars Holiday Special is a two-hour variety spectacular that combines a dazzling array of visual effects, animation, action and musical performances.
Introduced for the first time are Chewbacca’s wife malla, father Ichy and son Lumpy.  Also included is a cartoon short featuring the debut of the notorious bounty hunter, Boba Fett.

Original Air Date: November 17, 1978
CBS Television Network”

I know pretty much every line of the original Star Wars trilogy.  Enter the Star Wars Holiday Special.  My brother bought me this sweet bootleg copy of this VHS a few years back.  Its ridiculous.  I’ve watched the first few minutes quite a few times now, and every time I get excited to put it in.  However, five minutes later when Lumpy starts singing I start cursing and take it out.  After seeing this, I should’ve known what George Lucas was capable of.

However, the box art is sweet.  This one is an amazing bootleg, with the artwork cheaply copied and then cut out and put in a big box.  

Included is a Kenner toy commercial from 1978!  I’ve actually never seen that, so I don’t know if it’s really on there or not.  

-J. Moret



No comments:

Post a Comment